Monday, January 7, 2019

Harkness Memorial Park Painting

I put up my art show at the Case Memorial Library last week. I've got twenty-one paintings on display. There's a mix of still life and landscapes, many of them new. Here's one that I did recently at Harkness Memorial Park:


I painted this last fall on a beautiful cool autumn day. There was some fall color and the last of the flowers blooming for the year. I love painting here. It's peaceful and beautiful. The gardens are well-kept. There are so many places to paint there, and it's a great place for a picnic. It's near the water and there's great views of the Sound. They rent the gardens and mansion for special occasions like weddings and parties.

Originally a 237-acre working dairy farm with a herd of prize Guernsey cows, the Eolia estate had 65 employees, 35 of whom were year-round support staff. In addition to its stunning floral gardens designed by Beatrix Farrand and later Marion Coffin, the estate featured vegetable gardens and fruit orchards. Later, it was purchased by Mary and Edward Harkness, Marion's sister and brother-in-law.

No comments: