Friday, May 8, 2020

Remodeling a Painting - Part IV

Welcome back! I’m excited to share with you the last in the series of Remodeling a Painting. This step-by-step instruction has been a great way to motivate me to take a second look at a painting that wasn't working. It's also a great way to show you what I'm doing and explain my approach as I work on it. I am pretty happy with the way it's turned out. 


In this last segment, I'm addressing shadows and the color in the shadows, edges, highlights and loads of details. I've warmed up the background color a bit as well using a technique called scumbling. I've included my palette so you can see the color mixtures.

I hope that you've enjoyed this Remodeling a Painting series. Please drop me a line and let me know what you think. 
The Composition  18H x 24W, Oil on Canvas   

Edges

When considering the focus of a painting, you need to think about your edges. Edges are the borderlines between shapes of color. They are where things fit together, and define where the transitions occur. In painting, edges are either "sharp," "moderate," "soft," or "lost."
Sharp edges attract the eye and are often used with contrasting values to bring attention to a subject. It's a good idea to use sharp edges near or on your focal point.

Soft edges are like wall flowers, they don't want to attract attention, so the edges are blurred or softened. I use a dry brush to soften edges.
Lost edges occur when you can't tell the difference where one shape of a color begins and another one ends. Lost edges can provide mystery and a quiet atmosphere to a picture. They also help to depict movement, such as in a waterfall.

In this painting, the sharpest edges are the pen, tambourine and the lower part of the mandolin The inherent shapes of the mandolin and the guitar provide moderate edges, but I've also sharpened the edges of the pen and tambourine with contrasting values. I've softened the edges of the fabric, especially at the top edge. 
 

The Sheet Music and Fountain Pen

The paper was the most conflicting part of the original painting, partly because of the coolness of the color. For harmony, I warmed up the color by using various shades of yellow, peach, and gold. The shaping and position provided interest and, with the pen and pattern in the fabric, directs the eye into the picture. 

For the writing on the music, I added some notes and lines, but only a few. I first worked it out on the drawing before I transferred a design using charcoal onto the canvas. The idea is to provide a suggestion of music, without getting too detailed. I softened the "ink" to a dark gray so that it wouldn't stand out too much. 

The fountain pen is important as are the ink drips, so I sharpened the edges and added some highlights.

Shadows and Temperature

The color in the shadows of a subject are directly related to the temperature of light. If the light is cool, the shadows will be warm, if the light is warm, the shadows will be cool. Shadows on a cloudy day will be warm, whereas shadows on a bright sunny day are cool.

I've maintained from the start that the light source in this painting is a warm incandescent light. For this reason, the shadows are cool in temperature. I've used some blue and green in my shadows in the fabric and near the instruments. In the shadow of the tambourine, a reflection off of the instrument also includes local color in the shadow.

A color changes its appearance when either the light changes or its adjacent colors change.

Scumbling Technique

For the dark background, I used a method called scumbling. Scumbling is the application of a thin layer of paint with a dry brush and a loose hand over an existing layer. The idea is to allow parts of the already existing paint below to remain exposed. In most cases, scumbling is used over dried paint. My dark background was a bit cool, so I decided to warm it up slightly by scumbling alizarin crimson into it. It's very subtle change, but one that really makes a difference. I used a large bristle brush and pushed and pulled the paint over the dark areas with wide motions.

My Palette

My palette consisted of Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Ornge, Medium Red, Alizarin Crimson, Transparent Oxide Yellow, Viridian, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Umber and Titanium White.

I used a #8 bristle round for the background scumbling, and various medium and small sizes of synthetic rounds and brights brushes

Next

There's nothing better than painting en plein air on a beautiful warm spring day.

En plein air is a French expression meaning “in the open air”, and refers to the act of painting outdoors with the artist’s subject in full view.

My next series, Painting on the Farm River, will take you step-by-step with me as I paint this beautiful section of the Farm River on a warm and sunny day.


Don’t skimp with your paint on your palette. Put enough out so that you have something to work with and so you don’t have to keep stopping to mix and add paint.

Questions? Comments?

I hope you enjoyed this last of the four-part series, Remodeling a Painting. Feel free to share with others. I'd love to hear from you. Are you feeling inspired? What are you doing to stimulate your creative side?

Visit my website for more information about me, classes, exhibitions and for photos of my work.

2 comments:

martinealison said...

Bonjour,

J'étais très heureuse de vous lire à nouveau...
Merci pour votre petit message.
Je parcours votre dernière publication avec des détails fabuleux sur votre travail.
Je vous félicite... C'est très intéressant.

En cette période difficile que nous vivons tous, il est bon de rester en contact et de se soutenir les uns les autres... Prenez bien soin de vous et à très bientôt,

Gros bisous

Pen 'N Paint said...

Merci beaucoup! Yes, let's stay in touch. (rester en contact) Stay safe!